Women’s Imaging Center
The Women’s Imaging Center at Saint Michael’s Medical Center offers comprehensive coordinated breast imaging services in a comfortable, inviting setting, provided by experienced, compassionate breast health professionals and technicians.
We are now taking appointments until 7:30 p.m. every other Wednesday starting June 20, 2018. Call us for more information or an appointment at 973-877-5189.
- State-of-the-art, full-field digital mammography with computer-aided detection
- 3D Tomosynthesis mammography
- High-resolution breast ultrasound
- Breast magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Stereotactic and ultrasound-guided biopsies
- Rapid processing for biopsy results
- Breast Health Nurse Navigator
- Education & support programs
- Genetic counseling
The American Cancer Society recommends that all women over the age of 40 have regular breast exams and mammograms. The frequency of such examinations and the specific age at which screenings should begin depend on an individual’s risk factors for breast cancer, such as personal and family medical history.
Screening may include:
- The documentation of your personal and family medical history
- A physical examination
- Radiological studies, such as mammography and breast ultrasonography
When you visit Women’s Imaging Center for an initial evaluation, you will meet with one or more specialists from our team:
- Breast imaging evaluation
- Physical exams
- Ultrasound-guided aspirations of cysts
- Stereotactic ultrasound-guided and MRI-guided biopsies
- Face-to-face consultations with patients coming in for diagnostic mammograms and ultrasound imaging
Breast Cancer Surgeons
- Physical exams
- Fine-needle aspirations of palpable cysts
- Surgical procedures including lumpectomy and mastectomy and sentinel lymph node biopsies
- Mammograph- and ultrasound-assisted excisional biopsies
- Referral to Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon as needed
- Biopsies and cytology slide examinations
- Oncotype DX® Assays
Breast Health Navigator
- Assistance and guidance through the breast-care process
- Genetic testing for high-risk patients onsite and referrals to certified genetic counselors
Founded in October 2004, The Women’s Imaging Center at Saint Michael’s Medical Center is a comprehensive, state-of-the-art facility providing expert diagnosis and treatment of breast disease and the finest breast cancer prevention, early detection, and educational outreach programs in northern New Jersey.
We are so proud of the difference the Women’s Imaging Center has made for countless women in our community. See why the imaging center is such a vital service provider to women in Newark, and how the center is expanding its services to ensure that every woman has access to the best treatments available.
Recognizing that breast cancer is a highly curable disease if early detection and multi-disciplinary care are provided, The Women’s Imaging Center reaches out to more than 1,500 women annually through a series of free educational sessions and breast cancer screenings at the hospital and in the community, with outreach performed at churches, schools, community centers, and other local organizations.
The Center’s mission is to provide advanced breast care – from screening to diagnosis to treatment – for all women, with a special focus on addressing glaring statistical disparities in breast cancer’s impact among African-American and Hispanic women. Too often, the illness goes undetected until it has reached an advanced state. By increasing public awareness and promoting the importance of regularly scheduled mammograms, the Center’s staff works to reduce the number of stage three and stage four cancers among all patient populations.