The Cancer Center at Saint Michael’s Medical Center delivers a comprehensive continuum of cancer care that integrates clinical expertise, compassionate care, and leading-edge technology and techniques.
A dedicated team of physicians, nurses, and technical and support staff works together to provide patients with advanced medical, surgical, and radiation oncology services.
The team at The Cancer Center treats a wide range of cancer types. From the most common to the more complicated forms or cancer, we create an individualized treatment plan to produce the best outcome possible for each patient.
For further information, contact us at 973-877-5620.
Our staff uses highly advanced cancer-care technology for various radiation treatments, including:
- Varian TrueBeam linear accelerator
- Varian 21 EX linear accelerator
- State-of-the-art system for intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT), stereotactic radiosurgery/body radiotherapy (SRS/SBRT), image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT)
- Dedicated CT simulator
- Computer-based external beam planning systems capable of IMRT/SRS/SBRT/IGRT, which focuses radiation to target the geometric shapes of tumors, thus sparing healthy tissue
Our Cancer Center is specially designed to help support the healing process for our patients as they receive their treatments. Our medical oncology services include:
- An open suite, complete with nine dedicated treatment chairs
- Flat screen televisions for patients offers entertainment while receiving their treatments
- Three experienced oncology nurses
- An on-site pharmacy dedicated to processing our patients’ treatments
- Access to our patient library, which is full of clinical and casual literature
At the heart of the Cancer Center is a team of board-certified physicians completely focused on providing the best cancer care. The Medical Oncologists, Radiation Oncologists, and Surgeons of Saint Michael’s Medical Center are at the forefront of their fields.
The Center also has a dedicated staff including, board-certified medical dosimetrists, licensed radiation therapists, oncology-certified registered nurses, medical social workers, dietitians, and specially trained support personnel.
A key staff member is our oncology nurse navigator, who helps patients at every step of their care – from biopsy and diagnosis, to treatment and follow-up care. Our navigator can help patients manage not only their clinical care, but also insurance and disability paperwork, referrals for childcare, and other services to support patients as they continue their therapies.
The Center is led by Medical Oncologist, Hamid Shaaban, M.D., and Radiation Oncologist, Shravan Kambam, M.D.
We understand how difficult a cancer diagnosis can be for patients and their families, which is why our priority is patient-centered care. The team at the Cancer Center carefully coordinates care with other Centers and departments at Saint Michael’s Medical Center. It creates a better experience for our patients as they transition from the point of diagnosis to their treatment and beyond.
The Center is conveniently located on the campus of Saint Michael’s Medical Center near the historic Newark Arts District. Visitors are greeted by a spacious lobby filled with natural sunlight to provide an airy, open atmosphere that promotes healing. As patients move through the Center, the comfortable environment continues to create a warm, clean, and safe place for patients to feel welcome and at ease.
Patients and visitors also have access to first-class amenities and a variety of ancillary services such as support groups, an on-site pharmacy, a nutrition center, social services, and a phlebotomy lab.
CoC accredited cancer programs are dedicated to providing the best in patient-centered care.
Please use the following phone numbers to reach one of our physicians:
- Physician Consult 973-877-5533
- Medical Oncology 973-877-5530
- Radiation Oncology 973-877-2691