In the Pink Program
In The Pink Cancer Early Detection and Education Program
In the Pink is a program of Saint Michael’s Medical Center. The mission is to:
- Eradicate cancer as a life threatening disease in our community
- Foster the values of love, compassion, justice, and reverence for life
- Provide support services, which improve or maintain quality of life for all.
In the Pink by the Numbers
To schedule a screening appointment, call 973-465-2792. For more information about the program, call 973-877-2990.
About the Program
We provide free or low-cost education, outreach, screening, and treatment to women and men who qualify. In The Pink promotes healthy behavior among Essex County’s underserved population. In The Pink’s primary goal is to increase the proportion of age-appropriate men and women who are screened for breast, cervical, colorectal and prostate cancer by:
- Providing free screening and follow-up services to uninsured and underinsured men and women
- Reaching out to engage high-risk men and women for screening services
- Educating the public about the importance of cancer screening
- Increase knowledge of cancer screening protocol among health professionals
- Providing comprehensive clinical navigation/case management services
In The Pink was established in 1999 with funds from the Susan G. Komen For the Cure North Jersey Affiliate. In 2001, the Avon Breast Care Fund® (now the Avon Breast Health Outreach Program) became a partner in support of the program. Due to increase in demand, accessibility and quality of care the program became a lead agency for the Department of Health and Senior Services New Jersey Cancer Education and Early Detection Program (NJCEED). The program is now supported by Avon Breast Health Outreach Program, New Jersey Cancer Early Detection and Education Program (NJCEED) and Goals for Life. Their generosity lends to greater possibilities for more women to be screened and get treatment for breast cancer.
Patients We Serve
Our target population is geographically in the Greater Newark area, at risk, uninsured ethnic minority men and women, and specifically, the population who frequent Saint Michaels Medical Center, Cancer Screening Program.
Our goal is to use the “Best practices” outreaching strategies to recruit and retain clients with the use of an annual reminder for rescreening and follow-up. We focus on providing screening to individuals who never or are rarely screened and to make Saint Michaels Medical Center/In The Pink Program their medical home.
In The Pink Resources
- Image Enhancement Products
- Mobile Unit: “Reach the Hard to Reach”
- Breast Prostheses
- Mastectomy Bra
- Support Groups & Cancer Products
- Look Good Feel Better (through the American Cancer Society)
- Supported by grants from New Jersey Cancer Education and Early Detection Program (NJCEED, Avon Breast Health Outreach Program(AvonBHOP) and Goals for Life.
Patients must meet eligibility criteria to participate in our In The Pink program.